Breakfast

Exhausted
I'm waiting for the red sheets
And his shirt
to come out of the dryer.
Most times I don't think about it
I just do.
But I cried when he left this morning.

Probably mostly because I know
he missed his family
and I was part of the reason.

And if I was from Texas
I'd sing him that Stevie Nicks song
like I did in my head last night
when I fell asleep on his shoulder
waiting for my two scrambled eggs
three sausage links
hash browns
and a biscuit with gravy.

It was two a.m. and a very
Diner, my shiney shiney love
moment.

So here I sit
reversing it in my head
Too close to Texas
Too far from home
and thinking how retarded I am
for getting myself into these things
constantly.

But he thinks my eyes are beautiful
And he can tell by the way I say hello
what kind of day it's been
He says what he means
And lives to hold me in the middle of the night.

It's temporary, I know.
But it'll leave a mark.
It already has.